Stop Calling It “Spiritual” ! Just Live
Lately, I’ve been feeling uncomfortable with the word “spiritual.”
Not because the word itself is wrong …
but because of how we use it.
Somewhere along the way, “spiritual” became a label.
A way to separate people.
One group says, “I am spiritual.”
Another group rolls their eyes at it.
But both are doing the same thing ,creating division.
I’ve used that word before too.
If I’m being honest, once I used it to escape reality…to feel like I was better… calmer… more evolved than others.
But that wasn’t truth.
That was identity.
A comfortable one.
We talk as if there are two lives:
- a spiritual life
- a material life
But there is no such split.
Life is just life. Breathing exercises…meditation…we call it pranayama yes the name for the practise
But what is it really?
It is just taking care of the body.
Just like eating.
Just like sleeping.,
Money, comfort, a good house, a nice car…
We call that material.
But what is it really? It is also part of living.
It is meeting needs.
It is supporting ourselves and the people we love.
Sometimes, it is even a way of giving to others.
So what are we actually chasing?
Not spirituality.
Not material success.
We are trying to know ourselves.
Not in some distant, mystical way.
Not about past lives or afterlife.
But in the simplest, most honest way:
- What makes me angry?
- What brings me peace?
- What do I actually like?
- Who am I when no one is watching?
- Who am I without trying to look good?
That is the real work.
Calling it “spiritual” can sometimes become a cover.
A cocoon.
A way to hide behind practices, routines, or labels.
And when we start announcing it
“I wake up at brahma muhurta,”
“I do pranayama,”
it becomes no different from saying:
“I bought this car,”
“I have this much savings.”
Just different language.
Same ego.
There is nothing wrong with doing any of it.
But why turn it into identity?
If you are angry, be angry.
If you are restless, acknowledge it.
If you desire comfort, admit it.
There is nothing unspiritual about being human.
Maybe we don’t need a special word for life.
Maybe we don’t need to divide it.
Maybe we just need to live it honestly.
Take it easy.
That’s enough.
Comments
Post a Comment