Following a Guru Without Losing Yourself

 In today’s world, there are many gurus ! some well known, some quietly guiding in small towns.

At their core, most of them are doing one simple thing:

  • They are sharing their life lessons.
  • Their way of navigating life.
  • Their understanding of what it means to live, grow, and perhaps even reach what people call enlightenment. (I don’t want to get lost in those words, because once we start naming it, it easily becomes another concept to chase)

Instead, I want to talk about something more practical.


A) When people begin to follow a guru, they often invest deeply  heart, mind, and soul.

And slowly, without realizing, the focus shifts.

It moves from:

“What am I learning?”

to

“Who am I following?”

This is where I would gently suggest something different.

Take what the guru teaches.

Observe it.

Test it in your daily life.

See if it works for you.

But don’t rush to become a disciple.


B) Because the moment you take on that identity, something subtle happens.

You are no longer just learning  you are belonging.

And belonging comes with its own pull:

• the need to be accepted

• the need to fit into the group

• the comfort of being part of a “spiritual family”

None of this is wrong.

But it can quietly shift your energy away from yourself. Instead of applying the teachings, you may find yourself trying to follow the person, the system, or the group. And when you attach strongly to one guru, everything else starts to feel irrelevant or even wrong. But truth is not owned by anyone. So keep your mind and heart open. Take wisdom from wherever it comes. Let it pass through your own understanding. Keep what is true for you. Leave what is not.


C) I say this not as an outsider, but from experience.

In my own search to know myself, I ended up meeting and traveling with some gurus.

They taught, they showed, they spoke about life and about knowing oneself.

There was value in that. But alongside the teachings, I also noticed something else a strong pull toward the guru as a person.

  • The desire to be close to them.
  • The desire to be seen by them.
  • To be liked by them.
  • To know them, not just through the teachings, but personally.

And at one point, I had to stop and ask myself:

Why did I even come here?

What was I searching for in the first place?


That question mattered.


Because somewhere along the way, the search had shifted.

The attention was no longer fully on understanding myself.

Part of it had moved toward wanting closeness, approval, and place.


That is why I say: we are not really here to become disciples in the way we often imagine.

And truthfully, I do not think real teachers want that either.

This is not a complaint against any guru.


There is also nothing wrong in loving someone deeply, respecting them, or feeling gratitude toward them.That can happen naturally.

But when that love turns into identity,

when devotion turns into attachment,

the whole process changes.

Then the energy no longer goes into understanding life or understanding oneself.

It goes into maintaining the group, doing the events, taking care of the teacher’s needs, managing the expectations of other members, and protecting a role within that circle.

That is not why most of us went there.

  • We went because we were searching.
  • We went because we wanted to know.
  • We went because something in us wanted truth.

And that truth cannot be replaced by belonging.

(I will share my personal experience in detail in the next post)

D) So whenever you hear any teaching, from any guru, pause for a moment and ask:

  • Is this bringing me back to myself?
  • Is this helping me understand myself in my actual life?
  • Is this making me more aware, more honest, more real?

If it is, take it.

If it is not, then perhaps you are moving away from yourself, even while thinking you are on a path.


E) The greatest betrayal to a guru

-is worshipping them so much

that you lose yourself. That is the greatest betrayal, because even the guru would not want you to do that and the finest tribute is not blind worship but how deeply you come to understand yourself

Because if the teaching is real,

it is always pointing you back  to you.

  • Not to dependency.
  • Not to identity.
  • Not to blind following.
  • But to understanding yourself.

And when I say “yourself,”

I don’t mean something abstract or mystical.


I mean something very real:

• your strengths

• your weaknesses

• your patterns

• your desires

• your fears

• the life you are actually living


To understand yourself in this way

is already a deep path.


So instead of asking,

“Which guru should I follow?”


Maybe ask,

“What in me needs to be understood?”


And let every teacher you meet

be just that a teacher.


Not an identity you carry.

Not a label you wear.


Just a mirror

that helps you see yourself more clearly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Awakening Or Just Running Away From Yourself?

Stop Calling It “Spiritual” ! Just Live

Walking My Path, Honoring Yours